- Humans - 4
- Horses - 8
- Cats -3
- Pigs -3
- Cows - 9
About 60% of dogs are either DEA 1.1 negative or DEA 1.1 positive. In the other 40%, blood type varies greatly.
Is blood type breed specific? Yes and No. A majority of individuals within these breeds have the same blood type:
- German Shepherd
- Great Dane
- Golden Retriever
But other breeds have great variation.
Interestingly, even when blood type is breed-specific in one location, it may differ from country to country. For instance, one blood type exists only in dogs from Australia, primarily in the German Shepherd population.
Scientists don't have an explanation for the many different blood types in mammals, including dogs and humans. Blood types likely evolved more than once, probably as immunity to pathogens. Different blood types may protect us from different diseases.
One of my readers told me that wolves are type AB negative. I'd like to know more about blood type in the wolf.
For more information ask your veterinarian. Also, you can read about canine blood types here.