Monday, May 18, 2015

The Demise of the American Kennel Club Library

A good source for everything dog WAS the American Kennel Club Library located in New York City.  The library closed in 2009 when it let it's librarian of thirty years go, and put part of its catalog online. 
The Library's mission was to serve as a public reference collection and archive on matters relating to purebred dogs. When I did my dissertation research in 1999, I was privileged to handle and read books from the collection, some hundreds of years old like those below. 

















I would add the link to the online collection, but the one featured on the AKC site is no good, so if you know a different link, please let me know.

4 comments:

  1. Could any of them been moved to the Hope A. Levy Memorial Library at the Museum of the Dog, St. Louis, Mo.? They state on their web site they have more than 3,000 books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bet that is exactly where they ended up. We should go there.

      Delete
  2. This is VERY sad news (and something I hadn't read elsewhere). I too spent many happy hours there. If in fact the Museum of the Dog now has some of their collection it must only be only a small portion - the AKC Stud Book Register alone totals over 1,000 volumes and when in operation the AKC Library had many times that number.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if the AKC didn't put all that material in storage. What a loss.

      Delete