Saturday, August 17, 2013

Bloodhound History in Vintage Photos

Bloodhounds haven't changed much in a hundred years.  
1907
Today




But the breed looked a lot different in the early 1800s.
1820

And didn't change much during the next 50 years. 
1853


And then a fairly abrupt change thirty years later
1880s
Cassell's 1880 print below shows a more exaggerated conformation.
1880


Dog exhibition and its requisite breed standard created a more exaggerated look, with more pendulous ears and looser skin.  I wrote an article published in the Fall 2013 issue of The Bark about the down side of using breed standards to define dogs.
 1907

The standard, written in 1896, has hardly changed since the breed was registered with the United Kennel Club and the American Kennel Club.  Neither has the dog.
2013 Wikipedia

This 1880s photo of Arizona Rangers with their scent hound stole my heart.
A dog and his boys
Read more about Bloodhounds.

2 comments:

  1. What a great photo of those guys with their dog!!! Sometimes I think there has been too much interference with breeding....I love the way some breeds used to look ie. the German Sherpherd. Much prefer the 1800's look of the Bloodhound!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello friend: I've been visiting your blog and I found "great", with good data.

    I would like to share with you and your readers more interesting information about the Bloohound dog breed.

    I hope you like my space "Dogs and Cats" and leave me a comment if you fancy.

    Greetings from Spain

    ReplyDelete