Sunday, July 28, 2013

How Much Sleep Does a Dog Need?


Dog-tired

It depends on the age.  Puppies sleep up to 20 hours a day, whereas adult dogs need around 14 to 15 hours. Like people, older dogs need more sleep.


Size matters, too.  Big dogs sleep more than little dogs.


Researchers found that during an 8 hour night, dogs sleep for about 16 minutes, then wake up, stay awake for around 5 minutes, then go back to sleep. On average, that happens about 23 times during a normal night.

Read the science behind the article: Sleep-wake cycles and other night-time behaviours of the domestic dog. (G. J. Adams, and K. G. Johnson)




Watch this you tube compilation of dogs sleeping and dreaming.

3 comments:

  1. That first puppy is so cute, I do miss having my buddy around, but will wait until the time is right. He used to snore and he slept beside me, so I think he got more sleep than I did, lol.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very interesting!! My little dog Shali sleeps next to me, and I am aware sometimes that she moves from one place to another during the night, she alternates from the pillow, to my side! I have noticed too some low barking, whoop-whoop noises and limb movements, fascinating!!!!! I often wonder what she is dreaming about......

    ReplyDelete