Sunday, June 30, 2013

Dog days of summer

Dog Days. Whew.

The dog days of summer describes the hottest season of the year, which coincides with the rising of the dog-star, Sirius. According to the Romans, Sirius is the dog star because it is the brightest in the Canis Major constellation.  The dogs days were the days when Sirius rose just before or at the same time as the sun.


The Old Farmers Almanac says that in the northern hemisphere, 
dog days begin July 3 and end August 11. 


Many cultures believed dogs were more prone to 
rabies during the dog days. 

Not rabid, just hot


Today it is the season when dogs are most likely to stay inside and keep cool.


2 comments:

  1. My guy loved to eat ice cubes and sit in front of the fan, lol.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been hearing of the dreadfully high temperatures in the US on the news here, and those fatal bush fires too!!! I always think about the animals when I hear of such temperatures, I only hope that people are sensitive to their furry mates when it's so darn hot. My girls, dogs and cat, love to lay near the fan and cool off, or lay on the bathroom tiles during those very warm days. During these cooler months now, my girls love to cuddle up warm near me. I've often wondered about that expression 'dog days', now I know!!!!

    ReplyDelete