Sunday, September 23, 2012

Dogs on a Train: 1912 Vintage Photo

My favorite pastime is browsing through vintage photos of dogs.     One of my digital haunts is the Library of Congress.  I came across this photo titled,  "Man and dogs on a rail cart trip from Shelton to Nome, Alaska."

I expected to see dogs pulling something. Instead it features a bunch of happy dogs piled on a rail cart  heading towards Nome. Notice the writing on the photo: "Coasting on a dogmobile trip, from Shelton to Nome, Alaska, July 28, 1912."


When I enlarged the picture, I saw that all of the canine riders are typical husky-type sled dogs, with the exception of an English Setter on the seat. Setters were often used as lead dogs.  That's probably a driver and his dog team, with his lead dog on the seat next to him.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. How else would you get from Shelton to Nome in July if there weren't any snow?

3 comments:

  1. That is such a fun photo and I never knew they used setters for the lead dog.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a photo somewhere of a sled dog team made up of all setters. I'll find it and post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pic. Have a happy Monday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete